There are a number of age restricted communities in the Las Vegas Valley which have obtained this status as housing for persons age 55 and older based on the following Federal guidelines, specifically Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) (24 CFR 100.304, 305, 306, 307.)
“The Fair Housing Act (Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act) exempts “housing for older persons” from the Act’s prohibition against discrimination because of familial status. “
There are 4 main factors required for a housing facility or community to claim the 55 and older exemption:
(1) the housing must be intended and operated for persons age 55 and older.
(2) at least 80% of the occupied units must be occupied by at least one person who is 55 years of age or older.
(3) the housing facility or community must publish and adhere to policies and procedures that demonstrate its intent to operate as housing for persons 55 years of age or older.
(4) the housing facility or community must also comply with rules issued by HUD for the verification of occupancy.”
Sun City Summerlin
Construction began on this Del Webb 2,400 acre age restricted community in 1988 and was completed in 1998. Located in the northwest, Sun City Summerlin houses over 14,000 residents in 7,779 homes.
This popular senior community offers residents a number of social amenities including three 18 hole golf courses designed by Billy Casper and Greg Nash. Residents own an undivided ownership interest in these courses (Palm Valley, Highland Falls and Eagle Crest par 60 executive course). Yearly golf membership is available to residents at substantially reduced rates. A number of homes are located on a golf course with spectacular views of the Valley.
There are four community centers in Sun City Summerlin: Sun Shadows, Mt. Shadows, The Pinnacle and Desert Vista. These facilities offer a number of options for physical activities for residents such as 14 tennis courts, 5 Olympic size swimming pools, spas, 3 state of the art exercise rooms, 2 paddle ball courts, racquet ball, bocce ball, horseshoes, miniature golf, shuffleboard and a softball field.
This age restricted community has much to offer active seniors. Strip quality shows are featured in the performing arts theatre at the Pinnacle which seats 325. There are a number of clubs for residents which focus on hobbies, interests and physical activities.
Sun City Summerlin also features restaurants within the community centers such as:
- Tavern at the Falls located on the lake and golf course, open 7 days for breakfast and lunch from 7 am to 3 pm.
- Vista Grille open for lunch and dinner 7 days from 6 am to 11 pm.
- Chef’s Pantry Café at the Summit open Monday thru Friday for lunch and dinner, Saturday and Sunday for catered events only.
For more information about age restricted communities, call North American Realty at 702.376.0088 and speak to one of our knowledgeable and friendly Las Vegas Real Estate Agents.